Friday, February 18, 2011

Installing sqldeveloper on a linux box

To install sqldeveloper on a linux 64 bit machine, follow the below steps:-

1. Download the sqldeveloper rpm.
2. Install the rpm using the command 'rpm -ivh '
3. If you're not logged in as root user, you could encounter an error like
error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000. In this case log
in as root used and retry the installation.
4. The sqldeveloper mostly gets installed at location
/opt/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper and can be invoked using the command :-
/opt/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper.sh
5. A pre-requisite to install and run the sqldeveloper in your linux box is to
have jdk installed. At the time of invoking sqldeveloper you might come across a
warning message which reads :-
'Type the full pathname of a J2SE installation (or Ctrl-C to quit), the path will
be stored in ~/.sqldeveloper/jdk'.
6. In such a case you need to quit and put in the path of the jdk install location
in the 'SetJavaHome' variable inside a file called sqldeveloper.conf.





(Sqldeveloper software or other softwares meant for linux boxes are packaged in the rpm file format. RPM typically stands for Red Hat Package Manager / RPM Package Manager)

7 comments:

Tee Chess said...

Thanks for sharing the installation steps. I tried to install it several times but everytime an error occurs which halt the overall installation completely. Now I will try again according to the steps that you have posted in a hope to get success.
sap upgrade tool

Kavita said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by on my blog. Sure, please do try out the installation and let me know if it works for you!

sophie said...

Thank you so much! I was able to install successfully following your notes!

Oracle SQL said...


Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and I enjoy learning about this topic.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am encountering a problem in installing the sql developer in red hat linux. I have installed the jdk version but then also it is not installing and not working. I am running the rpm -ivh sqldeveloper command but it is no trunning.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am an SEO and internet marketing consultant.
My client's previous SEO consultant left a spammy comment with the alias Oracle SQL at your blog which links to my client's site. This is causing us serious trouble with respect to SEO and the comment does not look good on your blog either.
We apologize for the inconvenience and we request you to remove that comment as well as this current one that I am making within 48 hours. If you don't do so, I will have to use Google's disavow tool to get the spammy comment along with the website link removed and, sorry to say this, but Google may not look too nicely upon you either for not having removed the comment. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a digital marketer. The previous seo guy working for my client left a spammy comment at your blog with the username Retha Lanza which links to my client's site.
Such comments are or might cause serious damage to my client's site with respect to SEO which is why I am request you here by to remove it asap.
If you don't remove it by 12:00 am, Pacific Standard Time, 2nd January 2014, we will have use Google's Disavow Tool to get back-link removed and, sorry to say this, but Google may not look too nicely upon you either for not having removed the comment. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.